Sunday, September 28, 2008

"I've got a good feeling about this!"

Jim Holloway - B4 The Lost CityMost gaming groups acquire their own peculiarities over time. These can be in-jokes, unofficial mascots, quotes of renown, ways of doing business, etc. My own is no different. As of late, we've been plunging the depths of a dungeon known as "Dargon's Folly" and encountering the required vermin and traps most commonly found on the upper levels of such a locale.

Being the resident thief (that's thief, not rogue. Even says so on my character sheet), it's my duty to spot the traps before the rest of the group goes barreling into them. And as everyone who's ever played a thief knows: sometimes you do, sometime you don't.

The important thing is to maintain a positive outlook. Don't second-guess yourself. If you didn't find anything, then it must be O.K. to proceed. Just give a big thumbs up to the rest of the party and press on.

This attitude has been largely spurred on by the picture above. The piece is from dungeon module B4: The Lost City by Tom Moldvay. It's the work of Jim Holloway, an artist who, for some people, really epitomizes what D&D artwork is. While I can usually take or leave Holloway's stuff, some pieces of his really speak to me as a player. This is one such piece.

We've been referring to this particular picture a lot around the gaming table since we started the crawl. I figured I'd post it here for those of you who haven't seen it in in some time (or have never seen it at all).

5 comments:

Vanadorn said...

Not a problem! The hallway is a-ok!

Hahah. One of the few pieces of art I KNOW by heart where to find in the massive pile of pre-made adventures behind me.

Not counting the demonic face with the orb of annihilation inside it in the Tomb of Horrors.

Glad the "happy to report" spelunking dwarf made it to your blog.

Vanadorn

Michael Curtis said...

Just wait until tomorrow's post...

Vanadorn said...

Dun dun Dunnnnn. To-mor-row's post. dun. dun.

Dunnn.

James Maliszewski said...

Ironically, I was just about to post this very picture to my own blog.

Michael Curtis said...

I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about it, James