Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Little Love for the High Dexterity Fighter

"Fighters with a dexterity of greater than 14 can use their unusual manual dexterity to attempt to dodge or parry opponents’ attacks. For every point over 14 they are able to reduce their opponents’ chances of hitting them by 1 (5%).” – Greyhawk, p. 8

While engaging in the almost Talmudic study of the original LBBs that is commonplace amongst the old schoolers, I came across the above. Since I harbor the belief that B/X is nothing more than a cleaned up set of the LBBs, I figured this bit of Greyhawk is suitable for adaptation into Moldvay/Cook/Marsh.

As it stands in B/X, the benefits for a high Dexterity are a -1 to AC for a Dex of 13-15, -2 for a score of 16-17, and a -3 for those with a prodigious Dexterity of 18. In assuming the above rule and modifying it conform to B/X; Fighters would gain the following bonus to Armor Class:

Dexterity Score

Armor Class Modifier

13-14

-1

15-16

-2

17

-3

18

-4

The additional benefit of an extremely high Dexterity (17-18) are still minor enough to adhere to B/X’s attitudes of “working class heroes,” but it gives the Fighter a little something extra to spice up their ill-perceived banality. Although the argument could be made that Thieves, who live and die by their manual dexterity, should also benefit from the above table, I take the word “parry” (which implies a certain puissance of arms) as an excuse to apply the benefits solely to the fighting man.

This house rule shall be added to splintered shields and multiple attacks when opponents are slain in regards to any and all future fighters who deign to enter the halls of Stonehell.

4 comments:

barrataria said...

Sir: that's an interesting idea and seems workable. The phrase you included is the kind of thing that I'm sorry got left out of my favorite, B/X. I'm sure there's all sorts of them in the LBBs.

That said, I'm not sure why you'd change the modifiers for this one particular thing. The +1/+2/+3 progression is fabulously easy to remember and consistent with the other modifiers for abilities. I'd be reluctant to change it.

JB said...

Once again I decry the Fates that have left me bereft of the OD&D supplemental books.

Is this the same rule that converts (with the advent of AD&D) into the -1 through -4 AC bonus based on dexterity 15-18 in the PHB? Or is this IN ADDITION to the standard dexterity bonus available to all character classes??

To me, that's an important distinction. Basically it's a question of giving the fighter a DOUBLE bonus for high AC...which I like, as it makes the "lightly armored but quick" fighter a very viable character type.

Michael Curtis said...

That said, I'm not sure why you'd change the modifiers for this one particular thing. The +1/+2/+3 progression is fabulously easy to remember and consistent with the other modifiers for abilities. I'd be reluctant to change it.

I don't usually muck around with the backbone rules like ability mods. In this case, I made an exception only because it affects one class at (usually) character generation. Make a note of the AC modifier on the sheet and never look at the table again.

Michael Curtis said...

Is this the same rule that converts (with the advent of AD&D) into the -1 through -4 AC bonus based on dexterity 15-18 in the PHB? Or is this IN ADDITION to the standard dexterity bonus available to all character classes??

After I sketched out the table and posted it, I had one of those, "Did I just reinvent the wheel?" moments and had to check if I had recreated the Dex chart from the PHB. Luckily, it has a different progression, even if id does end at -4 to AC.

My intention is that this table would be used in place of the normal DEX modifiers for AC when it comes to fighters. Now that you mention it, however, I could see how it could be adapted for use in conjunction with the normal Dex table should I ever want to introduce lightly-armored fighter types into game. I'll keep that idea on file in case I ever need it.