Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Why I'll Never Be a Superstar

An email popped into my inbox tonight reminding me that the Paizo RPG Superstar 2012 competition is underway and that the deadline for the first round of entries is January 6th. Normally, this is something that I'd not be moved to participate in, but every since I got my hands on the Pathfinder Beginners Box, I've been examining the game in a somewhat different light. About ten minutes after I received that email, an idea for an entry popped into my head and I figured, "What the hell. Why not submit it?"

Then I read this in the rules: 
Anyone with a cover credit on a hardcover RPG book is ineligible.

Damn you, The Dungeon Alphabet! If only Goodman Games had been cheap bastards and gone with a softcover rather than a stylish and durable hardcover I might have been the next RPG Superstar! Looks like I'll have to become one the old-fashioned way. Back to work for me.

10 comments:

Andrew C. Durston said...

Huh, that's interesting (and unfortunate). Do you think that means inside cover/credits as well?

Tenkar said...

Well, it your going to be disqualified, that's the way to go ;)

Reverend Dak said...

Dude, you're way too good to be a Paizo Superstar.

Jeremy Duncan said...

That seems like a weirdly arbitrary rule. I mean, about half of the WFRP 2nd ed. supplements on my shelf are in hardcover, and half in paperback, and a lot of them are about the same length.

Will Douglas said...

I thought you already were a superstar, because of The Dungeon Alphabet.

I know I find it more useful than any other hardcover RPG book I've bought in the last 10 years or so...

Jay said...

How dumb! They should have said hardcover RPG rule set or something.

Andy anyway, I agree with Dak!

Jay said...

*And

(not Andy)

Michael Curtis said...

Their contest, their rules. I guess this keeps out the riff-raff.

Thanks for the kind words, all. I will admit that doing a gig for Paizo one day does appeal to me. I consider them the spiritual successors to D&D (unless WotC produces a miracle with 5E) and since I can't write for TSR, Paizo is the next best thing.

Demiurge_Redux said...

Stonehell=Superstar! :)

Lord Auron said...

Someone with the book! Quick! Take a picture of yourself sleeping with your head on it! Then Mr. Curtis can say that it is not a hardcover RPG book, but rather a very rigid RPG pillow.