Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wise Words From A Fellow Gamer

Wil Wheaton, actor, writer, blogger, and fellow gamer wrote the following in his column for the L.A. Times today:

When a computer tries to run too many applications at once, it tends to slow down until it becomes useless and crashes. This is what happened to the computer in my brain yesterday...

The best way to fix a computer with a maxed-out CPU is to close all the open applications, give it some time to cool off, and then reopen only the essential files.
I completely get where he's coming from. This week, my own CPU has been running pretty heavy and I'm trying to finish running those apps as quickly as I can to free up some space. Or to put it in more D&D-friendly terms: I feel like I'm trying to memorize spells with all my daily selections already filled.

The good news is that I've got one of my submissions out the door and I'm about halfway through my second. The first installment of Level 3 of Stonehell just requires me to ink in the location numbers, scan the map, and slap in into the completed template.

The bad news is that I've got the second installment mapped out but have yet to begin the stocking process. On top of all that, I've got a new writing project in mind that looks like it could be rather lengthy, so even if I clear off the backburners of my creative stovetop, there's a big old roast waiting to be put in the oven. I was also hoping to submit something to Green Devil Face.

I think I'm good for the evening, writing-wise. I'm going to start shutting down some applications or maybe cast a few detect magic spells to clear my head. Maybe watch Spartacus on DVD.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their patience while I reboot my head. Content of a more deeper depth will appear again next week. Hopefully, the wait will be worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should think about blue mountain lake!

Michael Curtis said...

Not unless a Wifi connection and Bigfoot insurance is included in that deal!

Kevin Mac said...

I understand about a brain crash. Working full time, going back to night school to conquer my math phobia, and trying to keep up with running a bi-weekly game would have been easier for a 10-year younger me...