Friday, April 3, 2009

Design Tidbit

Consider this a design note and a bit of clarification of detail for Level 3D: The Hexperiment – South. The iron sculpture located in the center of the reflecting pool in room 15 is based on a real kinetic sculpture but it might be obscure to anyone who has never been down to Greenwich Village in New York City. That piece is entitled “Alamo” and was created by the sculptor Tony Rosenthal. Denizens of NYC know it by its less formal name: “The Astor Place Cube” or simply, “The Cube.”

The Cube spins on its vertical axis if pushed and, if you have enough people pushing, you can get it spinning a quite a good clip. I discovered this fact during my misspent punk rock days in lower Manhattan, during a time when it wasn’t uncommon to see a bunch of drunken punks spinning the Cube at 3 o’clock in the morning. I was one of them.

It’s a landmark down in the Village; one easily identifiable to anyone who has spent a lot of time in lower Manhattan. I myself have a lot of fond memories of my excursions down to the Village during my wilder days and the Cube plays a part in several of them. Deciding to include a homage to the Cube in Stonehell is a nod back to those days and a reminder that I’m the person that I am today because of those times and experiences.

Just a note of personal interest, not one that affects game play. I just felt like sharing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the East Village and continued to visit my mom there until about a year ago. I have many memories over the years of punks spinning the cube in the wee hours of the morning. I wonder if I passed you by? In any case, I'm very glad the cube has found its way into Stonehell!

belst8

Max said...

Here's a shot of Endover, the nearly identical Rosenthal cube on the University of Michigan campus. I walked by it many times during the years I lived in Ann Arbor.

Michael Curtis said...

I have many memories over the years of punks spinning the cube in the wee hours of the morning. I wonder if I passed you by?

While not probable, it certainly is possible!

Michael Curtis said...

Here's a shot of Endover, the nearly identical Rosenthal cube on the University of Michigan campus. I walked by it many times during the years I lived in Ann Arbor.

I didn't know that there was another cube out there until I saw the reference to it on Wikipedia. Thanks for the link.