Friday, December 26, 2008

Twelve Gaming Resolutions: Numbers 4-1

4 – Work on a Gamma World sandbox game: This is the most ambitious project I intend to undertake in the coming year. Inspired by what people have been doing with the LBBs and the philosophy of “Imagining the hell out of them,” combined with the recent movement back to the sandbox-style campaign, I hope to do something similar with my second-favorite role-playing game, Gamma World. I believe that there is just as much room for home-brewing and pushing the limits of what is presented in the 1st edition of Gamma World as there is with OD&D. Adding a Wilderlands of High Fantasy-type hex-crawl setting to that game just screams out to me to be done. I intend to undertake this project without any preconceived ideas of what a Gamma World game should be other than what is presented in the original fifty-six page rule book and see what I end up with.

3 – Play test Ol’ Nameless: This one almost goes without saying. I’ve got everything I need in place to see if I still remember how to design and run an AD&D dungeon. Now all I need to do is actually find the time to run a group through the upper levels and see if I’ve managed to kick the rust off. If all goes as I hope that it does, I see what I need to tweak and where my weaknesses lie in the design department. Plus, it would be more fodder for posts around these parts.

2 – Finish up Ol’ Nameless through Level Five: This one really needs to wait until after I complete Number 3. The urge to keep going on Ol’ Nameless is still strong within me, but since I’ve already had to revisit previously covered ground in building the upper levels of Ol’ Nameless, I’m loathe to keep going until I see the results of those efforts in action. Once I’m able to see what I’ve done right and what I’ve done wrong with the top levels of the dungeon, I’ll be able to tackle some more of it without as much self-doubt. I’m trying to keep this resolution realistic. I’m more confident that I’ll be able to wrap up another three dungeon levels and six more sub-levels than I’d be stating that I plan to finish the entire thing by next year’s end.

1 – Find a name for Ol’ Nameless: The biggest of the Twelve. It’s become almost comical that I’ve done as much as I have with The Dungeon Not Yet Named™ and still haven’t settled on a title for it that pops to my ear. I think I came a little close last week during the commute home, but I’m still not 100% sold on any name that’s come to mind so far. The long this continues, the more likely that Ol’ Nameless is going to forever remain “Ol’ Nameless”.

10 comments:

clovis said...

why not a latin name?

olim anomia

Anonymous said...

the unnamed corridors
the lost labirynths
forgotten mazes

The Badger King said...

Re: GAMMA WORLD

I recenty got my hands on a bunch of Gamma World stuff (from whatever edition had the module The Cleansing War of Garik Blackhand), and I was looking at it, thinking, hmmmm..... I wonder if I could run a Fallout 3 campaign based on this. In fact, I'm surprised no one has released a Fallout RPG yet.

Joseph said...

I love the idea of a hex-crawl Gamma World game. Might even be worth considering such a thing with Metamorphosis: Alpha. Actually design the whole ship, have all the encounters ready to go, and let 'er rip...

Sham aka Dave said...

My Holiday Wish for you, Mike - may all 12 of your resolutions come to pass. I hope so, the I'll be in line to buy/dl some of your stuff. Great list - something I should mimic since I've way too many projects currently in a half-baked state.

Michael Curtis said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't go with something Latin, simply because it'd be jarring to the naming system I tend to use in R'Nis. I like to use simple English, but often default to older or archaic words when I want to convey an image of mystery and long-forgotten eras.

Right now, the closest I've come to something that sings to my ear is "The Odd Shambles" or simply "Oddshambles" Jury's still out for now.

Michael Curtis said...

Kevin, Cleansing War would be for 2nd Edition GW, which is the one that gets the most praise for being a complete version of GW.

I've seen some home-brew Fallout pen-and-paper rpgs available on fan sites before, but this was years ago and more geared towards the first two titles in the Fallout series. I don't remember being wowed by the stuff I saw, but your milage may vary. Some goggle-fu might turn up any that are still available online.

Michael Curtis said...

Doing the hex-crawl thing to MA would certainly be another way to go. I like the idea that you've got set boundaries within the ship and could thus concentrate on a finite amount of space.

I've got to go full Gamma World though, myself. As much as I love MA, the idea of having limitless room for expansion and things to stock just calls to me with a post-apocalyptic siren song.

Michael Curtis said...

Thank you, Dave. Belated holiday wishes to you as well.

I must admit that what you've done with OD&D over on Grog n' Blog has been the prime inspiration for me to tackle my Gamma World project. I was particularly inspired by your "alternate history" set-up for using the LBBs as if they were the only product TSR ever managed to produce, thus stripping the game of later preconceptions. I hope to take a similiar route with GW. I may even be forced steal outright your careful re-examination of the booklets when I begin putting the GW hex-crawl together.

Sham aka Dave said...

Thanks, Mike. I'm looking forward to your GW stuff. I love GW, and am still on the lookout for a modestly priced replacement copy of my old 1e GW box and rules. Sand-box + GW = pure gold.