Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fight On!

I had put in the order earlier last week and it was waiting for me when I arrived home yesterday. The “it” that I speak of is the first two issues of Fight On! Having heard the glowing reviews and having read the praise that I’ve seen heaped upon this fanzine, I was eager to see it for myself. Rather than go about and buy the cheaper .pdf version, I figured that if it did turn out to be half as good as I’ve been led to believe, it would be worth having it in a physical format. So I plunked down the $19 and let it ride, hoping that it would be worth the added cost and delivery time.

Best nineteen bucks I’ve spent in quite awhile.

I’m not going to get into the specifics and make a review out of this, but if you have any interest in old-school gaming and miss having Dragon magazine around to get even vicarious thrills, you should be ordering Fight On! right now. Assuming of course that, like myself, you were silly enough to wait so long to do so. If you’ve already seen the mag, then this is information you already know.

I polished off the first issue last night before I went to sleep – it being only 30 pages – and have the second issue waiting for me. Since issue #2 is nearly three times the size of issue #1, I fully intend to savor this one, seeing how I’ve got some time to kill before issue #3 is available.

I won’t claim that everything in issue #1 is a future classic, but the signal to noise ratio is very high for not only a fanzine, but for the inaugural issue of one. I saw more things to steal, inspire or modify in those 30 pages than I’ve seen in a 150 page 3rd edition splatbook. That’s even considering any bias I might have.

So, in short, if you haven’t already, get Fight On! Your Dragon-missing psyche will thank you for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it! We've got more great stuff coming up in issue 3, I'm happy to say. Now just to get it laid out!

- Ignatius Umlaut, Publisher and Editor, Fight On!

Michael Curtis said...

I'm looking forward to #3. Hopefully I'll have something of my own to add for a coming issue and join the ranks of contributors.

And a "thank you" to Jeff Rients for posting the link to this post on the Original D&D Discussion boards. Greetings to everyone whose dropped by thanks to that link. I hope you like what you see around here.